Freedom from negative emotions

Freedom from negative emotions

Postby Ambitiousss » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Dear moderatos, I'm sorry if I've written in the wrong theme. Please, don't delete my post and move it in the proper section.

Day after day, minute after minute people keep feeing negative emotions ("NEs"): jealousy, pity, fear, anger, irritation, discontent, resentment, rage, perplexity, insult, malice, envy, anxiety, uneasiness, contempt, disgust, shame, revengefulness, apathy, indolence, grief, melancholy, disappointment, greed etc.

Is freedom from NEs possible? People are stuck in them so hopelessly that even the very idea of having freedom from NEs irritates them. When they imagine themselves without NEs, it perplexes them to think how it is possible to live without them. They believe that without NEs they would turn into a dead unfeeling thing. They are so addicted to NEs that they cannot even imagine something besides them, although many people had short outbursts of weak EPs, especially in the early childhood.

This is a citation. I suggest reading about it ( http://bodhi.ru/samadhi/for/eng/01001-eng.htm ) and express your opinion. If you don't speak English then choose your language here - http://bodhi.ru/ . On this page there's email where you can send your questions and wishes.
Ambitiousss

Re: Freedom from negative emotions

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:14 am

GLOBAL PEACE DAY, 2007
Dear Ambitiousss, Following is my reply to a September 20, 2007 excerpt from Harold W. Becker's: "Funny Thing About Unconditional Love." I have wondered how to reply to Leo Semashko's challenge of September 21, on the inevitability of an emergent: "new social order of harmonious classes" to counter the destructiveness of time honored militaristic efforts to attain Peace by waging War. Finding your topic on the English language forum of the PeacefromHarmony website: "Freedom from negative emotions," it is suggestive, together with Becker's thesis, on how each of us may become partners in creating a Global Order of warfare defying, harmonious social classes, while improving our individual abilities to meet life's challenges. I have addressed some of the relevant issues in cognitive theories of social action and social change (Beyond Equilibrium Theory, 2000), which define optimum conditions for a changing dynamic of power sharing, at the most personal level of social organization: sharing the provider role in families.

If this approach seems rather academic and impersonal, it is because the rules of conducting research are rather stringent. The wonder, in seeing it unfold in individual lives, is that every person can experience the miracles that evolve from changing negatives to positives in their daily lives. 'Love' really is the answer, but most of us have yet to ask the question: What is it that will really make us happy? not just for the moment, until we adopt some new consumer fad, but for the long term? Are we willing to sacrifice momentary pleasures to build a lasting source of shared satisfaction? The Age of Individualism has all but destroyed Planet Earth. Yet, individually, we are free to "choose again," to work together to rescue Humanity from the scrap heap of history. "Power" is generated to do this, when shared.

With hope, affection, and great expectations, Martha Ross DeWitt

Dear Harold, What a joyous reminder that love comes from within, including the capability to lovingly accept ourselves as being worthy of love and capable of receiving love while giving it to others / sharing it with others without restrictions or conditions. "Let it be so." I wonder at the inability of Mother Theresa to understand this essential part of the equation: love thyself. I remember, in the Song of Bernadette, "the stream flows not for me." It is not reasonable to conclude that pain and suffering must be the lot of those who love others without conditions.
We do not have to become martyrs or easy patsies for the mischief of others. We just need to step back when confronted with unlovingness and ask ourselves: what response from me will help this situation? Until we have the answer, the best response is no response at all. It is not our place to correct others, except our children when they are small. Loving the ones who hate removes the sting. We do not have to see ourselves as hapless victims of others, for doing so leaves us powerless. The more we arm ourselves to fight our foe, the more he/ she sees himself/ herself as being in the right for fighting us. This is as true in families and the workplace as it is in the Middle East. "Rooting out evil" begins within ourselves, since it is often true: that the faults we see in others "mirror" our own worst faults. Until it occurs to us to look within, we cannot effectively address the many challenges we face in life without stumbling over our own bad habits and defects of character. List what you "hate" in others, for it is the first step toward discovering what is unloving in yourself. Our hearts are loaded with resentments and feelings of having been neglected. Getting rid of this rubble is hard to do. Instead, we often inflict it on others: "Here, you take it. It is too heavy for me to carry." Yet, in a more saintly mode, we might hoard it to ourselves, crowding out feelings of self-worth. Humility becomes a form of self-condemnation, endlessly reinforced by repetition.

Most of us are not saints, however. So getting rid of negative feelings in a healthy manner, without damaging our relationships with others, is worth expending extra effort, personally, and also as representatives of larger social and political entities, including nation-states. We have yet to hear from a candidate for high office on peaceful means of addressing the terrorist threat. How would Abraham Lincoln have responded to 9-ll? What about Richard Nixon, a Quaker in his religious beliefs? or Woodrow Wilson? War-time Presidents, yet unwarlike in their attempts to improve our long-term prospects for peace. Using the Bully Pulpit of high office to prolong enmities was not their style. Even Ronald Reagan found such use counter-productive toward ending the Cold War, as he began "talking to the enemy." How can we, as individuals, improve our self-talk and talk with, as well as about, those we have regarded as enemies? This is our greatest challenge, day to day and moment to moment. M. Ross DeWitt

"Harold W. Becker" <hwbecker@thelovefoundation.com> wrote:

Consider opening your heart to allow unconditional love to flow once again from within you and experience love of a new magnitude. Become the cup that overflows with this vibrant energy and the world will respond in delight. Forgive and release your attachment to pain, suffering, fear, doubt and separation and take the first step to generate this boundless love. Radiate your love without condition and through you humanity will finally come to know and experience unconditional love.

Embrace yourself and you embrace the universe. Be the cause of unconditional love and light the way!

Love, light and peace,
Harold W. Becker
President and Founder
The Love Foundation, Inc.
"Inspiring People to Love Unconditionally"
www.thelovefoundation.com

Think: Global Love Day
Feel: Love Begins With Me
Remember: May 1, 2008

Return to Discussions on Forum